disclaimer

The contents of this Web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Life

The other day another PCT and I were chatting about how fast time has flown by...and how much our perspectives of time have changed since we got here. In the scope of two years, the last 6 weeks are hardly a dent... but so much as happened and changed in the span of this last month. Its amazing.
Everything is going very well. We have been assigned our projects for the Avanzada spanish class, and, it turns out that myself and another trainee will be spending about 4 days a week of the next three works working in a Casa Materna associated with the hospital in La Paz. We went and introduced ourselves last week and this Tuesday went to a meeting with the committee in charge of the house and it´s finances. The Casa is a place for pregnant women to come live for the weeks before they give birth. Its similar to the place I visited a few weeks ago on my volunteer visit. Anyway, Sarah and I are both VERY excited about working there. On monday we are going back to give a chat about Family Planning. It´s going to be great :) On that note, if anyone has some health education material in electronic form (hint hint PCC friends!) I would be forever grateful for any emailed info...or packages! Also, Sarah and I are going to be attending the finance meetings regularly and hopefully helping out with their fundraising. This is important as the Casa gets no money from the hospital itself, it is all from private donations and fundraising. Sarah and I have both been really vocal about our desire to work with Maternal and Child health aspect of our program, so it is really exciting to have this mini-project where we actually get to be involved with and speaking to preganant women.

All is well in Yarumela, we are bonding and having fun...and I think my spanish is even improving.
Oh also, an update on Harry the spider from my room...yesterday I was trying to find a receipt that fell off my nightstand so I pulled out a drawer and out popped Harry. Apparently that is where he lives now. EW. I put the drawer back in and ran away....maybe I´ll deal with it later.
:)
That´s all for now,
Write me letters, send me emails...
I miss everyone

1 comment:

Unknown said...

fyi, i tagged you, check out my blog to see what means...i look forward to learning more about you!