disclaimer

The contents of this Web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Santa Lucia

Hola a todos! Well, this is my first official post as a Peace Corps trainee in Santa Lucia, Honduras. We have been here for about a day and a half, and are slowing learning what life will be like during out pre-service training. Everything went well in DC and on the journey here, no bags were lost (for too long) and only 2 of my 4 total flights were delayed. hehe. But we made it, and everyone in the group seems to be doing well.

In Santa Lucia, I live in a house with my host mother and father, two host brothers and host sisters. My siblings are between the ages of 17 and 21, so this makes for a very tranquil house (in comparison to SST with my two, loveable, and loud, host brothers). We also have a cute little dog named Oliver and a parrot named Polly. As for the food, my host family is trying to make sure I adjust well to any dietary changes, so dinner last night was spaghetti. Lunch today was a more traditional, rice, chicken and tortillas; which were all great!
The area is beautiful, many flowers and green trees. The weather is equally perfect, being warm and sunny all day, and cool and windy at night (be jealous midwesterners!). Standing infront of a school across from the internet cafe, you can look down the mountain and see the sparkling lights of Tegucigalpa surrounded by mountains. Beautiful.

As for out training, today we broke down into our specific programs, and I am very excited to begin learning more about Health in Honduras. Tomorrow we have our one-on-one interviews to determine our spanish placement. There are 12 possible levels...ranging from novice low to superior. I´m shooting for somewhere in the middle. I´ll let you know how that goes!

I feel that I may be spending too much money on the internet right now, so I must be going. But, keep any emails coming! I live about 1\2 block from the internet cafe... and will be checking with some regularity! Also, the following is the postal address that I can use for the remainder of pre-service training. Cards and letters are always welcome.



Tegucigalpa, Honduras
America Central


Thats all for now, I hope everyone is doing well in the states (and in all the other fabulous places that friends live). I miss you all!
take care
Anna

1 comment:

Matt said...

Anna, Glad you made it safe! Have a great time!